Head of Department: Dave White
Members of Deparment:
- Andy Cotterill
- Kath D’Arcy
- Laura Macaulay
- Tina Patel
- Stephanie Roberts
- Jonathan Signore
- Helder Neves (Table Tennis Co-ordinator)
- Ana Neves (Table Tennis Co-ordinator)
The current Physical Education department is very strong, supportive and committed to working together as an effective team, one that is determined to build on recent successes and to develop other areas of the curriculum presently offered to Morpeth pupils. It is our intention to set realistic goals and ensure positive feedback so that each pupil is aware of his/her own progress and gains the confidence to achieve a higher level. All pupils are assessed at the end of each practical six week unit of work.
Through learning different sets of physical and organisational skills, pupils will acquire essential social skills and work through many different emotions including the concept of ‘winning and losing’. The ability to offer and accept constructive criticism is emphasied. Maximum involvement and a high level of achievement is expected of every pupil. We strive to ensure that all examination candidates have the best conditions under which to complete practical and written work.
Extra Curricular Sports Clubs 2018-2019, Autumn Term Only
Key Stage 3 Curriculum and Enrichment Opportunities
- All pupils are taught in mixed gender/ability classes in Year 7 and single sex classes in Year 8.
- The department set realistic and challenging goals for all pupils and ensure positive feedback so that each pupil is aware of his/her own progress and gains the confidence to achieve a higher level.
- Pupils are taught a variety of Invasion Games, Net Games, Striking and Fielding Games, Gymnastics, Trampolining, Dance and Track and Field Athletics Events.
- Pupils are assessed practically at the end of each unit of work.
- Health Related Fitness practical and theoretical activities are taught throughout Key Stage 3.
- On site there is a fully equipped Sports Hall, Gymnastics Hall, Table Tennis Hall, Dance Studio, Fitness Suite
Key Stage 4 Curriculum and Enrichment Opportunities
- Pupils are taught in single sex classes in Year 9, mixed gender classes in Year 10 and a combination of single sex and mixed classes in Year 11.
- Pupils in Year 9 and 10 can opt to take a Level 1 BTEC in Sport or a GCSE foundation pathway course.
- All pupils are entered on an equivalent Level 1 Sports Leadership Award course in Year 10.
- Pupils in Year 9, 10 and 11 can opt to take a Full GCSE Edexcel Dance course
- Pupils in Year 10 and 11 can opt to take a Full GCSE Edexcel PE course.
- In Year 11 Pupils have a wide range of sports to choose from in core PE lessons. This choice includes Outdoor and Adventurous activities such as Rock Climbing at Mile End Centre.
Key Stage 5 Curriculum and Enrichment Opportunities
- We currently offer a BTEC Level 3 Course in Sports and Exercise Science.
- Pupils on this course attend a residential run by PGL.
- Pupils have access to a fully equipped Fitness Suite.
- Pupils have the opportunity to enhance their practical skills and personal fitness levels.
Other Important Things to Know
- lunchtimes and afterschool fixtures are organised against local schools in Tower Hamlets and Hackney in many sports.
- Inter-tutor competitions are offered throughout the year.
- A Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4 Sports Day is run, with every pupil involved in an event at Mile End Athletics Stadium in June.
- The school has a Table Tennis Centre of Excellence and our pupils regularly compete in the National Finals. Pupils have represented England in International competitions.